Unless they are pre-sealed, our floors will need finishing in situ. Floor finishes should be applied in line with manufacturers’ instructions. When finishing a wood floor from Broadleaf Timber, bear the following points in mind:
- Always make sure that the floor is clean, dry and free of dust before applying any floor finishes.
- Prior to finishing a wood floor, remove dust with a vacuum cleaner rather than a brush to minimise dust in the air.
- Always allow floor finishes to cure fully before moving furniture back in and using the floor as normal.
- Do not skimp on recommended drying times between coats or coverage. This can significantly reduce the performance of the finish.
- Make sure the room is warm (min 10º C) and well ventilated while finishing a wood floor. Remember to keep this up while the finish dries.
- In high wear areas, consider a finish that can be locally repaired.